It has been very unfortunate to say that geographical knowledge in Western countries are such in an appalling state that it is not funny anymore when one observes it closely. Just youtube Dumb Americans- Geographical Questionnaire or any other alternatives and see it for yourself. Iraq/ Afghanistan in Australia? 9/11 in New Hampshire? At first I do not believe in such stupidity and innocently assumed that it's a publicity stunt or somthin like that. Unfortunately, today's event has proven me wrong.
During orientation, a career adviser was givin' us some test and to cut all the crap, he asked us to name a country that starts with the letter that's in your head. So naturally, this test lead us to the letter D and most of them said Denmark (I got Dominican Republic!!! Haha). Therefore, the adviser listed out three countries starting from the letter D which would be Denmark, Dominican Republic and Djibouti. Then he asked, " Anybody had any different answers?"
Behold the almighty hand from the center of the lecture hall. A chick raised up her hand and confidently said, "Mine is different!!!" while waving it excitedly. I was impressed at first that she managed to name another country which seems impossible to me! The adviser asked, " So wutz ur answer?"
"Darfur!!"
.......................................................................................
Darfur? Are you serious? Darfur? That Darfur region in Sudan? That is a country? Or is it a county u live in? Ja know the difference between a country and a county? Darfur......................
What made the matter worse was the adviser had a moment of silence and then proceeded to applaud her 'genius' answer, "WOW, Darfur, very good! Brilliant!" like she had just successfully made Malaysia a Wawasan 2020 modernize country. I can't stand that bloody smirk on her face and felt like telling her, "Hey, Darfur is not a country, it's a new cosmetic brand like Revlon. Ja dunno? Shame on you!" Not only that, I heard another chick whispered to her friend, "Gee, why didn't he list Dubai?"
Owh gawd, I can't stand this anymore. Still I believe that there are no stupid humans, they were just mislead by CNN or FOXNews or wuteva. So here I would like to beg these television network news, the next time you mentioned name of places, emphasize the type of the place.
EG. Mahadzir Lokman: "Current storms are raging across KAMPUNG Baru and the STATE of Petaling Jaya and left thousands homeless."
Notice the caps? Note to news anchors and aspiring ones: Say it out loud! Emphasize it like you just came during orgasm. YOU could make the world a better place.
Just a side note, It's so hot in Adelaide that my nose started to bleed. I pray that it rains fast, can't stand this weather any longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment